Tuesday, June 1, 2010

granny squares and baby blankets

Well I've finally got a bit of time to write a post again- it's been a while!  Isn't it the perfect weather for some crafty woolly projects. One of my crafty challenges this year was to learn to crochet and I am so excited to have made my first granny square this week. I went to an afternoon class on Saturday at the Tauranga Knitting Centre and along with 3 others we all learnt how to make a square. I was by the far the slowest and needed the most teacher attention, in fact I had to move to sit next to the teacher ha! but I got there in the end. Of course when I got home and tried to make another one I ended up completely stuck and had to use some tutorials on the web but four days later I think I've got it! I found this photo tutorial from Susan London Textiles the best for making the first 'round' and then used Pip's lessons from "Meet Me At Mikes' to make the rest of the square.
 A pic of the square I made at the class (a bit wonky!) and my numerous practice pieces!
 I also made a start on a knitted peggy square for a baby blanket but I think I am going to crochet one first as its a lot quicker and winter is already here! 
And for some more crochet/knitting goodness.... a few weeks ago the very clever crochet gal Kirsty over at Kootoyoo showed us this amazing granny square necklace from jeweller Victoria Mason. I had a look at her other gorgeous jewellery and there's a little ball of knitting too- love it!
Well, better go before the baby wakes up.  It's pouring down outside and I've got the heater going, a chick flick on (the Meryl Streep movie 'It's Complicated' which my hubby will be pleased I'm not making him watch with me!) and a cat wanting to snuggle while I do some crochet- bliss!
Megan x

9 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Your wool sure is sublime! I have a friend who is making squares all one colour like you and they look very smart. Your lesson sounded very funny! One day it will just click and you'll be off, seriously it happens. Even I can crochet and I'm not a knitter at all. A baby blanket sounds like a great first project.

Our rain has stopped now and it's looking much brighter. Hope it stops at your place soon too.

Leonie said...

that would be me too - I am trying to learn to crochet from books and you tube but I just cant get it! Maybe I need to look for a class and a teacher I can sit next to (*grin*)
Your squares look great, you have really got the hang of it, cant wait to see what you make with them.

Tracey@bountifully said...

love the yarn you are using - I am making a granny blanket in similar colours. Good work!

Cotton Kiwi said...

It's all looking fantastic Megan. I'm teaching myself to crochet too. I have just got a book out of the library called Getting Started Crochet by Judith Swartz. I've had numerous books out but this is the first one that allowed me to 'get it" and I managed a granny square earlier in the week using it. Good luck with your blankets!

A Life Less Complicated said...

Crochet is on my list of things to learn this year, as is knitting. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for it but today I saw a big wool shop open in the temporary shop at our local mall - a sign???
Your knitting is very neat!

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic. I love your colour choices. That sublime wool is particularly lovely isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan, try this blog . . . Teresa's got video tutorials and easy to follow written instructions too. I used this a lot when I was learning to crochet. Belinda
http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

What beautiful wool. Keep your first attempts - I did and it still amazes me how once it enters your bloodstream it expands until your hands become programmed to do it on their own. I used a youtube tutorial (it's linked somewhere in my archives - maybe in May 2009) and it was fantastic, I kept pausing it again and again. I am going away for a couple of weeks but when I get back we should have a crocheting cup of tea with Belinda (Aunty Mum) who is the queen of crochet. Have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

well done - you are so good at getting out there and trying new things. I love that gray too x

Related Posts with Thumbnails